Thursday, February 15, 2018

2 hours Cape Lookout flight 2/14/18

Video Link:


Today we had 6 hang gliders dominate at Cape Lookout (near Netart , Oregon) and everyone had awesome flights. I was first to punch off at 3pm and within mins reached 1,000 ft above launch; max altitude close to 3,000 ft / duration 2 hrs.

















 

Sunday, February 11, 2018

2 hour and 45mins flight at Dog Mt 2/11/18


Dog Mountain (Glenoma, WA) was great today. Early spring conditions. It was turbulence earlier.  Ten hang gliders  (Eric O, Stas, Justin, Jasmine, Larry, Tina, Gabe, Thomas, Ken M and myself)  had a soaring flights.  I launched at 1 and landed at 3:45pm. Max altitude 1,200 ft above Launch.  Thomas went back up around 4:30 for a sunset flight and the NE winds were still cranking. He flew till sunset by himself and he complained too much smooth lifts everywhere. 


















Tuesday, February 6, 2018

90 mins flight at Eagle Butte (Kennewick, Wa) 2/6/18

It was blown out at Bingen today. The wind speed of 15-20 mph at the LZs around 8:30 when Neil and l arrived , so we decided to visit Eagles Butte in Kennewick, Washington (2.5hrs drive East of Bingen). Weather Underground was showing 5-10mph West and SW winds over there  however, from what l heard, this site is usually much stronger than forecast prediction.  Thanks to Rick Ely, Gabe Dinu and Rob Andrews for providing us the site info via texting, as this was our first flight visit. We arrived the launch at noon, but wasn't strong enough for soaring (3-8mph), so Neil took a sledder first and landed down below (Launch level is 550ft AGL).  Our second round to launch at 2:30, winds increasing to 20-25mph so l launched around 3 before Neil, and we both got up high immediately to 1,200 to 1,500 ft above launch and flew for more than an hour.  Thermals and ridge lifts were everywhere even far away from the Butte.  When we left before sunset, it was still blowing really strong like 25-30 mph. We having to battle with the strong winds to packed up our glider.   This site reminds me of a mini version of Saddle Mt in Mattawa. Great top-landable site, will post the video later. 
















some information about Kiona (Benton City)  and Eagle Butte (Kennewick). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
In a good NE or NNE days you can fly the whole Kiona ridge. Easier smooth road up to launch about 10 minutes off of I-82 , The Kiona ridge is about 3 to 4 miles long.&nb sp; Sites like Kiona, Cliffside, Eagle Butte is easy access for someone like me who don't have a drivers or 4X4 vehicle.
Both sites are top-landable :
Kiona Butte  1,800ft MSL/ Bottom LZs 800ft MSL/ 1,000 AGL
Eagle Butte  1,200ft MSL/ Bottom LZs 650ft MSL/ 550 AGL
Direction from Eagle Butte to Kiona


coming from Seattle : exit 96 off I-82 ,  Go up the hill and turn Right on McBee - Launch
is  above access road

Saturday, February 3, 2018

3 hrs Peterson Butte 2/3/18

Video coming soon
 Hang glider close encounter with a RC plane today at Peterson Butte

First off, I'd like to report a minor mid air collision today with Gabe's styrofoam RC glider of about 100 ft above top launch, that resulted with his glider spiraling down to the ground in front of launch. No worries it's repairable, pilot was okay and no damage to my glider.  You can check out the whole incident in my video @1:22.  Other than that, we had a great day.

Video link:
https://youtu.be/qK8CIvBqJ3k

I counted 9 PGs sharing the sky with us (two hangs) and I think most of the PGs punched off from the mid launch around noon, as it wasn't strong enough from the lower launch.  Gabe launched a few seconds before me at 12:35 in approx 8-10 mph SSW winds.  It took us some time and effort to get up to 1,500ft AGL.  Everyone was cruising around between 1,000 to 1,300 ft until there was one strong thermal that propelled us to cloudbase of 2,000ft.  I saw many PGs heading south to avoid entering the clouds.  Gabe flew 1.5 hrs while I got in almost 3 hours.  Although, winds switched more west later in the day, the butte remained soarable till the end with two more paragliders.  Thanks to Gabe invite this morning to fly Peterson's with him, otherwise, I wouldn't have gone flying.  I'll upload more video and photos later.













Friday, February 2, 2018

First 2018 skunked report at Oceanside 2/2/18

First 2018 skunked report at Oceanside: 
Today's breakdown; 

10:00:  Drizzle in Tillamook and more than half of the Sollie mountain under the clouds

10:30: Oceanside launch was socked in, winds 10+ out of WSW at the beach and straight up at launch approx 15 to 18 mph. No rain and still have beach for landing. 

11:00: Still socked in. Winds getting stronger at 20-25 mph SW and starting to rain. 

12:00: Light rain,  no beach for landing, too gusty and too south (SW) at launch. 

4:00: Rain stopped with a bit of sun peaking. Winds dropped down to 0-3 mph straight West; Still very foggy. 

4:30: Launch finally clearing off , was able to see three arch rocks offshore and huge beach for landing.  Unfortunately, no wind at launch. Prepared to setup for a sledder. 

5:00: Changed my mind setting up due to heavy mist rolling in to launch which resulting in no visibility again. 

6:00: Left Oceanside.