Saturday, May 28, 2016

1st flight at Prairie Peak (Alsea, OR) 5/28/16

Greg and I had met up today at the Church of Christ on Lobster Valley Road at 11am. We headed up to launch after checking out the primary and bailout LZ. It took 6.5 miles of pave road and another 6.5 miles of smooth gravel road, adding the total of 13 miles from primary LZ to launch, 40 mins turn around time.

The wind direction at launch was light (2-5mph) from the NW. Greg launched first at 12:50pm and caught a good thermal on the right side, getting above launch quickly. I launched at 1:00pm during a weak cycle period and sunked out immediately below launch. I managed to find a few light thermals and climbed back up above launch, but only 50ft over while Greg skyed out. I started exploring a bit and after a while I hit sink that took me down a few hundred feet below launch. I figured that the LZ is so far away,I better go farther down to the left side. The thermals seemed to be declining on the west ridge, so I decided to fly straight to the LZ and not goof around. I found another thermal when I was on top of the bailout LZ that took me almost back to the launch level. I cruised around for a bit before heading to the primary LZ. The wind at the LZ was light 0-5mph from west when we landed. So, I flew for 45 mins and Greg got 1.5 hrs. The grass at the LZ is about 5ft tall so I had to flare earlier. You can see from my video . All in all, it was great flying with Greg. Prairie Peak is a beautiful site with gorgeous scenery and I would definitely recommend it. Thanks again to Greg for the site intro.

 

Direction from LZ to launch
The video below is starting from Prairie Mountain Rd. 

This is the way to launch from the primary LZ.

Approx 6 miles on the pave road
LZ address: 
1. 16895-16961 County Hwy 58190, Alsea, OR 97324
2. Head east on County Hwy 58190/Lobster Valley Rd toward Hazel Glen Rd
3. Turn left onto Alsea-Deadwood Hwy
4. Sharp right onto Prairie Mountain Rd

After the sharp right turn on Prairie Mountain Rd. Drive another 6 -7 miles on the gravel road get to launch. 










From Jason Groshong screen cap this on 6/14/17 


No comments:

Post a Comment