Thursday, May 19, 2016

Sled ride / Cape Lookout 5/17/16




Peter (Pg from Eugene) had two sledders this afternoon. It was definitely "Thermal Block" kind of day at launch the entire time. All weather stations around Cape Lookout showed 15-20 NW, clouds were moving NW fast above launch and a lot of whitecaps out front...... etc. However, the straight cycles was doing the come & go game just teasing us. Every time when there was a launchable cycle, it last for 15-30 seconds and then winds would either be dead calm, too north, too south or blowing down again. I tried to launch around 6pm expecting a sled ride down. I waited a LONG time for a straight cycle and was prepared to go when suddenly it doesn't feel right so I stop right after my first step. Unfortunately, the glider kept dragging me down to the hill slowly on the right side and I ended up in the soft bushes. No damage on the glider, so I tried to launch again half an hour later and didn't hesitate the second time. I ran all the way down and my glider dropped like crazy once airborne. The wind at the beach was blowing 3 mph NNE. Everyone (Alex, Kory, Robin/ 3 hangs) at launch started to pack up after seeing me.





No comments:

Post a Comment