Sunday, December 4, 2016

First flight at Cliffside 3K west launch Dec 2, 2016

I left home at 5:30am this morning made it to Bingen, Wash to watch the sunrise in the morning. It started to rain after that so I headed out to Goldendale to meet up with Mark Rabe to try that 3000ft west facing launch on top of Cliffside windmills for our first time. When I arrived the LZ by the river, it was partly sunny with high clouds ceiling. All windmills on top were facing the right direction (WSW) and spinning slowly. 

We arrived launch at 10:30am and launched at 12:00pm in front of the antennas. Mark walked down about 50 ft below because he doesn't like the shallow slop on top and trees on both side. Mark punched off in no winds so he went straight to the LZ. I launched on higher ground and winds was very light (3-5mph from straight west). I felt lifts immediately right after airborne. The air was SO SMOOTH and I got 300 ft above launch. I was thinking about land on top later but my altitude was drop down between 150-200ft above launch so I decided to landed at the bottom instead. When we went back up to retrieve Mark truck around 3:30pm. The winds was blowing very steady 15mph straight up. We were thinking about to fly again but it was just too cold (40 degree F) and too late.















No comments:

Post a Comment