Saturday, May 23, 2015

6 flights 7 hrs Annual Memorial Day Fly-In May 22-25, 2015.


Finally, I found some extra time to re-write "The 2015 Woodrat Memorial weekend Fly-In" report:

Firstly, I like to thank the hospitality of Mr. Dave Palmer for offering us to camp at his house, and providing access to the wifi as well.  The weather has been cooperative since the first day of my arrival (May 22/ Friday afternoon) and got even better each day. For me, it was a non-stop long weekend of flying and memorable fun time. I had 6 great flights (only 1 flight landed at Hunter) and approx 7 hours of air time.  The highest altitude I got on Monday was between 7 to 8K MSL.  The flying condition on Memorial Day (May 25/ Monday) was absolutely extraordinary which made me want to fly Woodrat even more.  I had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year!  I'm sure a lot of pilots are still smiling from this weekend.

Anyway, RVHPA Mr Rick Ray already posted a report about how good it was and here's his report from yesterday (May 25th, 2015) :
This was an enjoyable  and safe weekend for the non-event. Lots of favorable interaction between the hgs and pgs with basically no issues and plenty of mutual respect.
Today saw a couple of hgs getting to 8500. Benny,  Brian,and Scott made GP Peak. Brian landed at aRogue River, Benny at Donato's and Scott in Ashland. There were a couple of hgs made GP also but I am unsure of their names. Sorry.
Lots of pilots to 7500-8k.
Only one glider  into the trees. Yet again demonstrating the folly of flying leeside below ridgetop. Pilot was safe . Wing not as happy.
Thanks for making it fun and safe.
Rick
Safety director 2016

This is my report:

Day 1/ Friday
40 mins/ 500 ft above launch.

I arrived Woodrat around 3pm and met up with most of the pilots at Dave Palmer property. Then went up to launch with Larry, Tina and Justin and had a great flight on the first day.

Day 2/ Saturday
1st flight:1:00-3:00 pm 2000ft above launch (4k AGL) 
2nd flight:5:30-6:30 pm 1000ft above launch (3k AGL)

I woke up around 6:00 am and had an hour skateboarding session at Jacksonville skatepark before breakfast. Since Eric already dropped my glider at launch earlier, I rode up with CPC Paraglider Carols to launch around 12:00pm. The wind was really light, however a few paragliders showed us it was soarable, so I launched off at 1:00pm and flew for 2hrs.  After done packing up at Longsword LZ, I went back up to launch again with Greg Krutzikowsky to get in another hour air time.

Day 3 / Sunday
1st flight. Morning sledder with Paige
2nd flight 1:00-3:00 pm
After the enjoyable morning sledder with Paige, I went up with Travis, Eric and Paige after lunch. I punched off at the north launch for the first time at 1:00 pm and found very good thermal at the lower launch and climb out in front along the spine.

Day 4 / Monday
As usual, the best flying condition always happens on the last day of the event.  The flying condition was absolutely extraordinary and the highest altitude I got was between 7 to 8K MSL.  Most of us got really high and go XC on day 4. I'm sure many people went home with big smile. 














Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le

Photo from David Le


Photo from Dan Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment