Sunday, June 21, 2015

2 flights 4.5 hrs air time/ An amazing glass off flight at Dog Mt 06-20-15

I was debating on going to either Tiger or Dog Mtn yesterday morning and at the last minute, decided to head to Dog instead. A good choice as it turns out, because I just found out Michael's brand new bus (Tiger shuttle) doesn't have a trailer or rack for hang gliders anymore. From now on, all hang pilots will probably need to buy their own gate key to fly Tiger??

Anyway, yesterday was really good at Dog. Firstly, thanks to Larry for mowing the tall grass at Dog Patch to provide the extra room for us all to ensure a safe landing even when there's a lot of campers /cars at the berm. As usual I had two flights; 4.5 hrs total of air time. The 1st flight was launched at 1:00 pm right after Dave L took off. We both got about 500 ft~ 800 ft over launch. Most of the time there was smooth ridge lifts and we landed in the strong west wind winds after 2+ hrs later. I hiked back up again after lunch for the evening glass off flight with about 6 hangs and 2 bags. I launched at 6 pm and flew for 2+ hours at glass off conditions. When the wind switched north around 6:45 pm, the real magic moment started happening. I was boaty between north ridge and radio tower for a while and then saw Larry and Tina got really high at Elk, so I went there to catch up with them. The thermals was much better at Elk than radio tower and the max altitude I got was about 3,000 ft AGL. Larry probably got 4k AGL earlier. You can't see Larry & Tina in my video because they were at least 500 to 800 ft above me. I should have gone to Elk earlier with them instead of Radio Tower. What an amazing day it was!
















No comments:

Post a Comment