Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2 flights hour and 45mins / First flights of 2017 at Cliffside

I had two flights in a super mellow thermic condition at Cliffside today.

First flight, I was up for 30 mins and topped out 100 ft above launch.
Second flight was an hour and 10 mins and topped out 1,800ft above launch (2,800ft AGL).  Thanks to Mark Rabe for coming out to drive for us.

Detailed report:
3 hangs ( Kory, Gabe and I) and 2 bags  (Mark Sanzone and Dave Blizzard) flew today.

I arrived LZ by the river at 11am . The wind was 0-3 mph ESE and zero wind at launch. First flight,  I launched at 1pm and worked on the weak lifts and was able to soar. Seeing Mark head to the LZ , I decided to land to get in another flight. PGs Mark and Dave arrived when I returned to launch. Kory and Gabe was set to launch at this time, and conditions remained calm.  Surprisingly, thermals was better than earlier. I headed east and was able to climbed above the Windmills. The temperature at 2,800ft AGL was 14°F.  After almost an hour of good air time, sunset was approaching so I decided to land.

Btw, I've two bad news to share:
First, getting a flat tire about 5 miles west of The Dalles while returning home.

Second, my GoPro camera ran out of battery so missed capturing the best part of my second flight.  

Other than that, it was a pretty awesome day.

Video Link:

 































No comments:

Post a Comment