Monday, May 15, 2017

2 flights one hour / Cape Lookout & Oceanside 5/14/17

Two flights today. 
1st- Cape Lookout: an hour flight 
2nd- Oceanside: Scary scary sledder. 

It was very light and too west at CLO today. A few PGs launched in the morning was able to stay up.  When l was ready to launch, most of them were starting to sink out and landed so l was expecting a sledder.  I decided to launch at 1pm because tide was coming up.  Ray launched right after me.  Surprisingly,  there was a lot of smooth weak thermals, so we both flew for an hour.  My max altitude was 950ft and Ray got couple hundred feet higher than me. Beach was disappearing quickly and it was barely soarable so we headed out to landed. The landing condition was quite challenging due to cross West and WSW wind and with narrow limited dry beach.  I landed in North direction in 90 degree cross wind and some landed south; either way works fine for today. 

Afterwards, we headed to Oceanside (some PGs went to Sollie). There was plenty of beach at Oside during high tide and wind at the beach were blowing light WNW and west.  Unfortunately, it was light and too north when l got ready to launch. All l felt was rotors, rowdy air, too close to the trees, ....etc.  So l just headed straight to landing to end the scary ride. l had great landings for both flights. 





2 comments:

  1. hi Rick, what are the weather apps you use that I see in your posts? I am going to woodrat this weekend to fly with the locals and my club out of Chico, CA. The Cloud Street Gang. Maybe I will see you. Thanks-Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Windfinder and i-Windsurf Apps. Woodrat forecast looks really good this weekend.l might headed down to Woodrat from Saturday through Monday. Rick

      Delete