Monday, January 22, 2018

45 mins Oceanside, Oregon 1/22/18



Beautiful sunny warm day at Oceanside. Six of us (5 paragliders and myself) had great soaring flights. It wasn't soarable in the morning but it did turn on around noon. The winds were very light (approx 3-5 mph out of west and WSW) when I launched around noon. Laren showed us that it was soarable during his 3rd flight (he had two sledders in the morning) so I launched right after him. Other PGs ( Mike C, Mark S , George and John K ) launched right after me (John launched from the Community Center down below). I flew down to Happy Camp at 800ft after 30 minutes later and lost 500 ft returning back to Oceanside. I couldn't get back up above launch so I just cruised around the lower dunes right above the community center. High tides was at 4 pm but the 12ft high surfs engulfed the beach pretty fast at 1pm. Since I was sinking out slowly with wind blowing 90 degree cross out west at the beach, I decided to land. All in all, my flight lasted 45mins and max altitude was 300 ft above launch (900 ft MSL).
Forecast predicted stronger winds in the morning and was supposed to decrease as the day continued, but it turned out the opposite. The wind we're blowing much stronger when we returned for our vehicles, l was tempted to fly again being that it was only 2:30 pm. however, with high tide arriving at 4pm, I was afraid there wouldn’t be any beach for landing, so I left before the 2nd flight of Mark S. Mark probably landed before sunset on his 2nd flight.

Facebook: 
 https://www.facebook.com/pdxrick.lai/posts/10155533868944285

 I arrived Tillamook at 8 and see a lot of blue skies but 0 winds in town. Oceanside launch at 8:45am. Sunny skies. Light west winds 3-5mph at launch. Have good amount of beach for landing. Low tide at 11. High tide at 4pm. 

Just posted couple pics from launch : 












No comments:

Post a Comment