Saturday, February 3, 2018

3 hrs Peterson Butte 2/3/18

Video coming soon
 Hang glider close encounter with a RC plane today at Peterson Butte

First off, I'd like to report a minor mid air collision today with Gabe's styrofoam RC glider of about 100 ft above top launch, that resulted with his glider spiraling down to the ground in front of launch. No worries it's repairable, pilot was okay and no damage to my glider.  You can check out the whole incident in my video @1:22.  Other than that, we had a great day.

Video link:
https://youtu.be/qK8CIvBqJ3k

I counted 9 PGs sharing the sky with us (two hangs) and I think most of the PGs punched off from the mid launch around noon, as it wasn't strong enough from the lower launch.  Gabe launched a few seconds before me at 12:35 in approx 8-10 mph SSW winds.  It took us some time and effort to get up to 1,500ft AGL.  Everyone was cruising around between 1,000 to 1,300 ft until there was one strong thermal that propelled us to cloudbase of 2,000ft.  I saw many PGs heading south to avoid entering the clouds.  Gabe flew 1.5 hrs while I got in almost 3 hours.  Although, winds switched more west later in the day, the butte remained soarable till the end with two more paragliders.  Thanks to Gabe invite this morning to fly Peterson's with him, otherwise, I wouldn't have gone flying.  I'll upload more video and photos later.













1 comment:

  1. What are the dates when Peterson Butte is opened up for RC and Hang Gliders?

    ReplyDelete