Thursday, November 5, 2015

Bingen, Wash skunked report 11/4/15

Today at Bingen, 3 paras (Michael C, Eric M and Sol)  and 2 hangs (Mark and myself) headed up at launch around 11:30am. Mark did most of the hiking carrying his glider this time with my help on some steep area. So it took us more time get to the west launch.   The winds were blowing about 8-12mph by the time Mark and I arrived launch at 1:00pm.  It was perfect soarable condition for hangs and bags.  3 paras launched quickly and got some good soaring flight before the wind picked up speed exceeding to unpleasant conditions.   By the time we were done setting up around 2:30pm, the winds continued to excel to approx 18 to 25+mph. Paraglider Eric reported that the LZ was blowing 15mph. I thought it was too strong for Mark, so we waited in hopes that the wind will decrease later. The conditions were tempting and I was offered by Mark to take the flight, however, doing that would leave him being alone at launch , so I decided to wait with him. Unfortunately the wind never die down. By around 4:00pm we decided to pack up.  Bingen is the worst place to get skunked having to hike back in the dark with the glider,  we have to walk back to the truck to pick up the Kayak carts first.......  but I do think that we made a wise decision. Thank God that we did not ask the para friends to drive Mark's ruck down to the LZ.   I'm exhausted right now and need to get some sleep ASAP.  

Rick Weber reported three hangs had a sled rides at lower Peterson today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment