Sunday, January 5, 2020

2.5 hours fantastic day at Moolack Beach Newport Oregon coast 01/05/2020

Flying sites in Pacific NorthWest:
Where to learn Hang Gliding in Pacific Northwest:

Video



 The 25-30mph strong west wind produced consistent onshore flow for Greg and I to soar along the coastline from Yaquina Head to Otter Rock. More photos from yesterday and view from my blog. 

  It was another fantastic day again. Flew Moolack Beach (Newport, Oregon) for almost 3 hrs with Greg in sunny , warm and strong wind conditions again. It was blowing 30+mph at launch. Conditions were similar to yesterday at Area B (Fort Steve's State Park near Warrenton, Oregon) but can get much higher than yesterday. Rain came after done packing up. I'll post video and photos later.
Greg Krutzikowsky Report 
Yes it was on in a big way! Rick was here and setting up when I walked down to look. It was cranking about 25 on launch from the west with not a cloud in site all the way to the horizon. I went and got my gear and set up. Rick launched just as I was finishing set up. I convinced Rick to let me hold his nose wires and walk him out to launch saying it is much safer. He let me do that. He said he had it, but the glider was not loaded up for him to set into the air. He did take off shortly afterward and said "oh shit" but he was fine and his launch was clean. Perhaps he just didn't expect to go straight up with almost no ground speed. Fortunately another pilot was there too. A guy named Craig who just moved into Depoe Bay. Not current, but has a Falcon 4. He helped me to launch. It was great. I flew to Yaquina Head first. By this time there was a squall moving in, so I stayed down that way slightly upwind of the squall until it moved through. Then both Rick and I headed back to launch. It got light and we were just able to stay up. In fact I unzipped and thought about landing, but then I saw a bit more wind coming as the solid cloud cover moved in. It  got really good, but a bit more southerly in direction so I headed to Cape Foulweather and managed to get up just over 2 K. Then headed back and landed on the beach. Rick landed just after me. He didn't make it up over Foulweather on his North Wing single surface, but had a great flight.  DeMott was there and helped by giving us a ride back to launch after we packed up. Epic day and we avoided all rain, but I wouldn't exactly say we bagged 'em dry given how wet the beach was.




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment