Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Reminders for flying the coast

I've been asked by a few pilots regarding the launch condition yesterday at Oceanside,  as it wasn't enclosed in my video. I'm posting the raw footage here (link below) to reveal how my GoPro wasn't strapped down tight enough and due to the result with the angle dropping down during my launch it was not included in last night video. 

I launched at 11am with biwingle pilot Mike Canafix on site. The winds were approx 10-15 mph which was favorable for hangs but a bit strong for paras. It was manageable without any wire assist and there wasn't any wire slap after being airborne. There was plenty of widespread smooth lifts that kept on elevating making it a very joyful and easy flight going between Oceanside and Netart.  Whenever I fly the coast, things I pay special attention to: waves, tides, spectator at the beach,  changing of the wind direction, cloud development in the surrounding area..... etc.  The 6.7ft high tide was supposed to be around 2:45pm with 14ft high waves which is very high and some part of the beach could be completely under water but there was still room for landing before I left around 2pm. Many paragliders launched between 2 to 3pm and they said tides was going down fast. 


Also, there was a lot of dry beach at the south side enough for guaranteed safe landing.  The only downside landing down south is having to walk a long way back to the parking lot and packing up the glider at the beach instead of a grass field. However, those aren't issues for me since I enjoy walking and my kayak cart comes in handy.


Reminders for flying the coast:
1. Make sure there's enough room at the beach before launching.
2. Check for full visibility of LZ before launching.
3. If needing wire assistance -indicates condition is too strong, which I'll wait .
4. Always have a Plan B for landing if primary LZ is covered by tide or spectator....
5. Pay attention to the wind's strength and change of direction, as it's never fun landing with a strong cross wind on narrow beach.
6. If my phone have reception at launch, for the gloomy sky like yesterday I usually check the radar to make sure no rain squalls approaching  miles away before launching for safety precaution.
7. If l screwed up , share my mistakes so other can learn from it.
Perhaps other coastal pilots might have more safety tips to include.


Hope this info can help others.


Road trip suggestion: 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment