Tuesday, April 18, 2017

3.5 hrs flight at Oceanside 4/18/ 7

Three hang gliders (Ray, Neil and myself) had long flights at Oceanside today. I launched first at around noon,  flew for 3.5 hour and topped out 1,400ft MSL.  The wind at launch was blowing very strong from morning till I departed (at around 5:45pm). Launch condition was between 15 to 25+ mph out of South and SSW all afternoon. Ray's instrument displayed wind direction of 180 and sometimes 160 degree with 30 mph wind speed at 1,200ft MSL (Ray, please correct me if I'm wrong).  I'd find myself flying backwards or with zero penetration when reaching 1,000ft MSL. I think Ray and Neil topped out 2,000ft and their fast gliders (Rigid wing and Topless glider) was able to penetrate to Happy Camp.  Many birds and eagles joined us in soaring on this beautiful day.








No comments:

Post a Comment