Sunday, March 4, 2018

2 flights 3.5 hours Oceanside 3/4/18




Oceanside video (3/4/18 Sunday) :
I've squeezed down 2 flights 3.5 hours video into 4 minutes footage. 1st flight from 11:30 to 1:15. 2nd flight from 03:30 to 5.

Ray report:
Wild day at Oceanside, not what I expected from the forecast SSW 5-10. Most forecasts said 10 mph for a few hours in the afternoon and 35-50% chance of precip. 
I arrived with Rick and few already in the air before noon, so I was pleasantly surprised. I started setting up and after numerous rain showers, I didn't launch until shortly before 4:00, after my rigid wing finally became dry enough to take off.. With lots of help from Kory and Rob, I managed to take off with one of my most scariest launches ever. The control bar down tubes sort of got ripped out of my hands after only one step, the gust rotor action coming from the trees below. My reaction was to drop head down toward the nose and base bar, shifting my weight forward on the glider. I don't know if this was instinctual or just plain luck as the glider seemed to weather vane into the cross south wind at the same time. After letting out a scream, I flew away like nothing had happened. Shorts were clean anyway. 
I managed a good flight going to back bowl for some extra altitude, then flew to Happy Camp and then more south to the Schooner restaurant. Great lift as winds were in the 20 mph range on my Flytec Vario, which the Stratos rigid wing loves. I flew out to the 3 Rocks after returning to the Oceanside main hill and realized this flight was going to be cut short by the impending squall cells from the south that had been pestering us all day.. I decided to put her down as my luck for this day was already spent. I managed only 58 minutes duration with max altitude almost 1700 ft. Better safe than sorry and yes, we bagged them wet. Thanks, Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment